Administration and Events Assistant
Job Title: Administration and Events Assistant
Location: Laudato Si' Research Institute, Littlegate Street, Oxford, OX1 1SG
Status: Fixed-term appointment until 30 Sept 2024
Salary: Starting salary £22,500 - £26,000 (or pro rota if part-time)
Hours: Part/Full-time (30-40 hours)
Deadline for application: 19 March 2020, 12 noon
The newly-formed Laudato Si’ Research Institute (LSRI) at Campion Hall, University of Oxford, conducts multidisciplinary research at the intersections of theology, ecology, and the social and natural sciences on the most pressing environmental issues of our day. Inspired by Pope Francis’ vision in the encyclical Laudato Si’: On Care for Our Common Home, the LSRI’s research seeks to develop an integral ecology that responds to ‘the cry of the earth’ and the ‘cry of the poor’ and thereby a) resources the academy and practitioners in a variety of spheres and b) influences related policies and decision making in national and global governance.
Campion Hall, founded in 1896, is the Jesuit Permanent Private Hall of Oxford University and is a small and vibrant international community of scholars and postgraduate students. The Jesuits are known worldwide for their excellence in Higher Education and Research.
Overview of the role
This exciting role will be based in the LSRI offices and the postholder will be responsible for assisting the Administrator in the smooth running of the day-to-day operations of the Institute. The Administration and Events Assistant will have general responsibility for the administrative support for a number of LSRI functions.
The successful candidate will have experience supporting administrative processes and working flexibly as part of a small team. The Administration and Events Assistant will have good communication, IT, and numeracy skills, along with the ability to organise his or her own workload and keep to deadlines.
This position will particularly suit a self-motivated individual who thrives in a collaborative environment where his or her ideas and skills will be viewed as a valued contribution to life of the Institute. While bringing relevant experience from similar roles, the candidate will be flexible and desirous of professional growth within their role.
- Directly responsible to the LSRI Administrator, the postholder will provide general administration and secretarial support for the Institute. When required, the postholder will also provide assistance to other senior members of the Institute.
- Act as the first point of contact for all enquiries by telephone, email, and other correspondence, as well as being responsible for welcoming visitors to the Institute.
- Responsible for sorting all incoming mail and acting as the first point of reference for couriers, deliveries, etc.
- Support the Administrator in making arrangements for Academic Visitors coming to the Institute. This may involve allocating workspace, issuing/recording keys and fobs, and coordinating accommodation.
- Maintain appropriate stocks of stationery whilst checking that eco-friendly purchases are made and reporting any issues with printer/copiers to the appropriate supplier.
- Keep notice board displays updated, and the occasional preparation of signs and posters, undertaking photocopying, filing, arrange meetings, and occasional travel arrangements.
- Undertake financial duties to support the Administrator with processing of expense claims, reimbursement, invoices, etc. and maintaining a spreadsheet of transactions.
- Liaise with Campion Hall (Accommodation/Finance) or Pembroke College (Facilities/IT) staff on behalf of the Administrator.
- Assist with staff recruitment: collate applications and compile interview schedules, as required.
- Working with the Administrator in coordinating all Institute events. Duties will include, but are not limited to, arranging for overnight accommodation, booking rooms/venues, catering (e.g., online orders and sundries for the kitchen) or collecting items from local shops, etc.
- Maintain and keep updated accommodation/events/visitor spreadsheet(s) and calendar.
- Compile agenda items and draft minutes for team meetings and organise occasional Doodle Polls for meetings.
- Assist with sending out of invitations for various seminars and events, keeping a list of attendance as needed.
- Take initiative in ensuring the Institute remains clean and tidy.
- Work occasionally on the weekend (with prior notification) during events.
- Any other duties that fall within the overall objectives of this role.
- A good level of education, minimum A-level standard or equivalent vocational training.
- Previous experience of supporting administrative processes, reception, or customer facing work.
- The ability to work flexibly with colleagues and as part of a small team, using initiative when appropriate.
- Experience of organising events and administrative arrangements.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- IT skills, especially Word and Excel.
- Good numeracy skills and experience of using spreadsheets.
- The ability to organise own workload and work effectively without supervision, whilst ensuring attention to detail, along with meeting deadlines.
- A flexible “can-do” approach to undertaking routine tasks, and the willingness to assist Institute members when required to do so.
- Experience of working within a Higher Education Institution/College
- Experience of using Apple computers
- Proven ability to create a supportive and hospitable environment for employees and guests of the LSRI.
- A particular interest in the mission of the LSRI and a desire to further its aims through administration.
- Application is by letter in which the applicant needs to explain what qualifications and experience he or she has for the post described in this document, including a completed downloadable Cover Sheet listing three potential referees, including one from the applicant’s present employer, with their addresses, emails and other contact details. The applicant should also submit a full curriculum vitae showing relevant experience and qualifications.
- Applications should be submitted to the LSRI Administrator (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the application deadline.
- Shortlisted candidates for the post will be invited to interview at the LSRI on 31 March or 1 April 2020.
- The appointment will be made subject to proof of the right to work in the UK.
Terms and Conditions
- Starting Salary: £22,500 – £26,000 per annum (or pro rata if part-time), depending on experience
- 25 days paid holiday plus UK Bank Holidays
- Pension Plan at 5% of annual salary; a minimum personal contribution of 3%
- Line Manager: LSRI Administrator
- Start date: 27 April 2020 or as soon as possible